Posted in Car Accidents on January 15, 2024

Immediate Actions After a No-Fault Car Accident in Georgetown imageIf you were injured in a car accident someone else caused, you need the car accident lawyers in Georgetown from Evans Moore, LLC. We understand that you may not know what to do after an accident that is not your fault in Georgetown. Although an experienced car accident lawyer can assist you in all aspects of your case, remember these tips in the immediate aftermath of an accident to ensure you protect your rights.

What Should You Do After an Accident That Was Not Your Fault?

Knowing the proper steps to take after an accident can be difficult. You may feel shaken up and disoriented even if you are not seriously injured. But by keeping these tips in mind, you may strengthen your case, especially if you were not responsible for the accident:

  • Call the Police – Even if the car accident is not severe, call emergency services so law enforcement will come to the scene and first responders can assess any injuries. An EMT will evaluate you to determine whether further medical treatment is necessary. Be sure not to leave the scene until law enforcement arrives to investigate the accident. They will prepare a police report, which may be a crucial element in establishing liability, especially if the at-fault driver’s insurer denies their responsibility.
  • Seek Medical Treatment – Visit your primary care physician or a medical provider at an urgent care facility as soon as possible after the accident for further evaluation. You may avoid further injury by seeking treatment because some injuries are not immediately evident after an accident.
  • Gather Evidence – Take photos and videos of the accident scene and the vehicles involved to document any property damage. If you are injured, document your injuries through photos. You should also speak to eyewitnesses about the accident and record their recollections about what they observed. Be sure to obtain their contact information so your attorney can contact them later.
  • Call Your Insurance Company – You may wonder, “If someone hit my car, whose insurance do I call?” Although you or your insurer will likely communicate with the at-fault driver’s insurance company later, you should immediately report the accident to your own insurance company. Your auto policy likely includes a notice provision that requires you to notify the company in the event of an accident, and you do not want to inadvertently waive any coverage by failing to notify your insurer.
  • Contact a Personal Injury Attorney – As soon as possible, contact an experienced car accident attorney so they can get started on your case from the start while crucial evidence is available. With a strong legal advocate on your side, you can focus on healing from your injuries.

Who Can Be Held Liable for My Car Accident and Related Losses?

The driver who caused the car accident may be found liable and thus responsible for paying damages. Under South Carolina law, drivers must carry liability and uninsured motorist coverage with limits of:

  • $25,000 bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury per accident
  • $25,000 property damage per accident

Despite these requirements, some drivers do not have insurance coverage at all. If an uninsured driver caused the accident, you can seek reimbursement for your financial losses from your insurance company under your uninsured motorist coverage.

What Compensation Can I Receive?

If you were injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, you may face unexpected medical bills and time off work and wonder who will pay for damages. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you might be entitled to money for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of future earning capacity
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Property damage

What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Car Accident Injury Lawsuit in South Carolina?

Immediate Actions After a No-Fault Car Accident in Georgetown image 2South Carolina law imposes a three-year deadline for filing personal injury lawsuits. This means you have three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit in civil court. If the three-year deadline passes, the judge will likely dismiss your case, and you will be unable to pursue compensation in court. As such, contacting an attorney immediately after a car accident is critical to protecting your right to compensation.

Contact a Georgetown Car Accident Lawyer Today

At Evans Moore, LLC, we handle various car accident cases in Georgetown and the surrounding communities. Our personal injury attorneys are committed to giving every client the individualized attention and care they deserve. We are ready to advocate for your rights and help you seek the compensation you need after an accident. Contact us today at (843) 995-5000 for a free consultation.