Georgetown Slip and Fall Lawyers
Were you injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property? Was it the result of the dangerous conditions caused or ignored by the property owner? If so, contact Evans Moore, LLC for assistance with your legal case to hold the property owner liable for the suffering you were forced to endure.
When you get hurt on another person’s property because of someone’s negligence or disregard for a guest’s safety, it is your right to pursue a premises liability case. The owner, employer, or another party that caused your injuries should be held accountable for their actions. They are responsible for inspecting, maintaining, and repairing the property’s exterior and interior, so no condition of the property leads to a slip and fall accident.
At Evans Moore, LLC, our Georgetown premises liability lawyers understand the stress and strain of dealing with a situation like this. You might already face financial struggles, and this accident has caused even more. It’s overwhelming when you’re recovering from an injury while taking on an insurance claim or lawsuit. Our South Carolina slip and fall lawyers are ready to take over your case so you can focus on healing and putting the pieces of your life back together.
Call us at (843) 995-5000 today for a free consultation with our Georgetown Slip and Fall Attorneys and learn more about how we can help during your time of need.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls
A slip and fall accident occurs when someone trips or slips on a hazard or defect and sustains an injury. The injury can be due to negligence on the part of the property owner, business owner, an employee, or another party affiliated with the property.
Some examples of situations that often lead to a slip and fall accident include:
- Hazards left on the floor
- Defective or damaged sidewalk
- Inadequate lighting
- Defective or narrow staircase
- Wet or slippery floor
- Loose rug or carpeting
- Icy sidewalk or walkway
- Cracked or uneven surfaces
- Missing handrails
You might be entitled to compensation from the business owner or property owner as long as the accident was their fault. You could file a claim with their liability insurance company or file a lawsuit, depending on the circumstances surrounding your case.
When determining liability after this type of accident, it’s important to establish the type of visitor you were when you got hurt. Three classifications exist in premises liability cases:
- Invitee – An invitee is someone who has permission to enter or remain on the property for the owner’s benefit. It’s the owner’s responsibility to maintain the property so it’s safe and free of hazards.
- Licensee – Licensees have the owner’s consent to enter or remain on the property. Although the owner did not invite them, they are still allowed to be there. The owner should avoid doing anything that could cause the licensee harm. They’re also supposed to provide adequate warning of the dangers that exist on the property.
- Trespasser – Trespassers enter another person’s property without permission or consent. The owner does not have a duty to warn them of hazards but should take action to avoid causing injury to someone who trespasses on their property.
Evans Moore, LLC understands state laws associated with slip and fall cases and how to determine if the owner should be held liable for your injuries and resulting expenses. When you hire us, we can investigate the accident and gather the necessary evidence that could prove that their negligence caused the accident.
Steps You Should Take After A Slip and Fall Accident
After you sustain an injury on another person’s property, you might wonder what you should do next. Your instinct might be to leave as soon as possible and go to the doctor. Although medical treatment is crucial in a situation like this, there are some things you should do first.
Report the accident to the owner or someone in management and complete an incident report, so there’s evidence of what happened. Take photos of the damage or hazardous conditions if possible. You should also ask for their insurance information.
Once you leave the scene, go to the doctor immediately. Don’t wait too long before seeking initial treatment. Insurance companies can use a gap in treatment as evidence that the claimant’s injury isn’t severe enough to require a significant settlement. They might not use fair tactics during the claims process. Their goal is to get away with paying as little money as possible or nothing at all.
While you’re attending your doctor’s appointments, Evans Moore, LLC will handle the rest of your case. We will take on each step of the legal process and gather evidence that proves the owner was at fault and should be held accountable for the negligent actions that led to your injuries.
It’s critical that you follow your doctor’s instructions and continue to treat your injuries until you recover or the doctor releases you from their care. If you stop against your doctor’s orders, that could negatively impact the outcome of your case.
Medical records provide a timeline of a slip and fall victim’s treatment and the progress they’re making during the recovery process. Be sure to keep a copy of every document associated with the case. That includes hospital records, medical bills, imaging results, and prescriptions. You should also keep letters that you receive from the insurance company so we can review them.
Compensation You Could Seek After A Slip and Fall Accident
You might have suffered multiple physical, emotional, and financial losses due to your injury. You shouldn’t be responsible for the expenses you incurred if someone else caused the accident. You could file a claim with the property owner’s liability insurance company to compensate for the following losses:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Damage to personal property
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Out of pocket expenses
Whether you choose to file a claim or lawsuit will depend on the elements of your case. Some people can settle for an amount of money that adequately covers their past and future losses. Other people need to file a lawsuit if the insurance company denies their claim or refuses to settle for a fair amount of compensation.
Our Georgetown slip and fall lawyers can help you decide which option would be best for your case. We will review all the evidence we find, determine liability, and advise how you should proceed. We provide our clients with the guidance and support they need during this confusing and stressful time in their lives.
Why Hire Evans Moore, LLC?
At Evans Moore, LLC, we have the experience and resources to effectively build an accident victim’s case and reach a favorable resolution. It can seem overwhelming to pursue a legal case while you’re trying to heal your injuries. This is something you might struggle with if you’re unfamiliar with the legal process. Hiring an experienced Georgetown slip and fall lawyer is always the best option for recovering the maximum available compensation.
When you hire us, we can take on the following steps:
- Investigate – We will open a thorough investigation into what happened and determine who was at fault. Our legal team might visit the accident scene to take photos, speak to the owner or their staff, and gather evidence.
- Evidence – We can obtain crucial evidence to determine whether there were hazards or damage that led to your injuries. We might request copies of the maintenance and repair records, video surveillance footage, and other documentation associated with the dangerous conditions.
- Witnesses – We can locate any witnesses who saw you fall and get hurt. We’ll take their statements, so there’s evidence that backs up your version of events.
- File the claim – We can file a claim on your behalf with the owner’s insurance company. Once we determine how much coverage is available, we will review your total losses and negotiate for a settlement amount we believe is fair.
- File a lawsuit – If the insurance company refuses to settle or denies the claim, we can file a lawsuit against them and the specific individual who should be held liable for the accident.
Our Georgetown slip and fall lawyers know how much our clients need us during this devastating experience. Many people don’t have the financial means to afford their medical bills and the legal costs associated with this type of case. However, it would be in your best interest to seek legal representation. You’re more likely to win higher compensation with the help of a lawyer than if you try to handle this alone.
Evans Moore, LLC has represented clients throughout South Carolina and recovered over $50 million in settlements and jury verdicts. Our case results have earned us recognition from legal organizations around the country, such as Super Lawyers and the American Society of Legal Advocates Top 40 Lawyers Under 40. The reputation we’ve built since opening our firm sets us apart from other law firms.
If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, you need representation from a South Carolina slip and fall lawyer you can trust. Call Evans Moore, LLC today at (843) 995-5000.