Charleston Car Accident Lawyers
If you were injured or a loved one was injured or killed in a car accident in the Charleston area, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Car accidents can be a source of incredible physical, mental, and financial stress, and as costs mount, so too can the hardship on you and your family.
At Evans Moore, LLC, we understand the impact that car accidents can have on victim’s lives. We can assess your case, help you understand your legal options, and fight for the financial compensation that you need to recover and move on with your life. If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident in Charleston, please contact the Charleston area car accident lawyers of Evans Moore, LLC today at (843) 995-5000 to discuss your case with a member of our legal team.
Why Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
A knowledgeable and experienced Charleston car accident lawyer can be a deciding factor in helping you win the compensation that you need to return to a happy and healthy life. A lawyer will help you to understand your legal options and represent you and your interests either through the settlement process or in court. Ideally, they will have expert knowledge of personal injury law and how to use it to deliver the compensation that you and your family need.
Qualified car accident lawyers will be able to communicate your interests fairly and accurately, working with insurance companies and other parties to ensure that they do not argue their way out of paying. You should never have to take on a personal injury case on your own; the stakes for your recovery are too high. A skilled lawyer can make the difference in winning the compensation necessary to pay for your medical bills, make up for lost wages, and allow you to mentally and physically recover.
Why Choose Evans Moore, LLC to Handle My Case?
South Carolina natives James B. Moore III and Scott C. Evans are leading South Carolina personal injury attorneys, bringing more than 20 years of combined experience to their practice.
Attorney Moore, a native of coastal South Carolina, has been named as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers several times throughout his career. Additionally, he has been named to the “Top 40 Under 40” list for litigation lawyers in South Carolina by the American Society of Legal Advocates.
A native of Summerville, Attorney Scott C. Evans has also been named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in South Carolina every year since 2014. He has secured nearly $20 million in jury verdicts for his clients in cases argued in both state and federal courts.
The attorneys of Evans Moore, LLC bring with this track record considerable experience in personal injury law, ensuring that you can approach your car accident case with confidence. Our small firm culture and focus on personal injury law means that we will treat you and your case as unique, bringing an unmatched level of attention and understanding to your case. Knowing you and knowing your situation is the best way to win the compensation that you need for your injury or loss.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle
Not all types of car accident cases are created equal. Cases involving government or commercial vehicles, alcohol, and countless other factors can affect the way we approach your case. Some common types of car accidents include:
- Drunk Driving Accidents: If the driver was intoxicated, additional provisions of the law may apply.
- Distracted Driving Accidents: With additional new restrictions on using cell phones while driving, distracted driving poses a unique risk.
- Car vs. Bus Accidents: The size and weight of a bus make them more dangerous in an accident. If you have been hit by a bus that was driven negligently, and you were injured, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation.
- SUV or Van Accidents: Like buses, SUVs and vans can pose particular risks.
- Underinsured or Uninsured Driver Accidents: Although insurance companies offer uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, they are the ones in charge of disbursing this compensation should you be involved in an accident. An attorney can be of great help in ensuring that you are treated fairly by your insurance company.
- T-Bone Accidents: These accidents can cause severe injuries and often involve traffic violations.
- Hit-and-Run Accidents: When you don’t know the identity of the person who harmed you, there are unique challenges associated with recovering compensation.
- Highway Crashes: Highway crashes, although less frequent, can be far more severe. A skilled car accidents lawyer can assist you when you’re in a highway crash that results in injury.
- Multi-vehicle Accidents: As the number of people involved in the crash increases, so too can the complexity of the case. A Charleston car accident lawyer can help you navigate a multi-vehicle incident.
- Commercial Vehicle Crashes: Incidents involving commercial vehicles can introduce liability on the part of business owners and operators, allowing you to recover more compensation but also requiring you to fight more formidable opponents.
- Military or U.S. Government-Owned Vehicle Crashes: Crashes involving military or other government vehicles can introduce special legal implications, best handled by a personal injury lawyer.
- Head-On Collisions: These severe collisions are often fatal. A skilled and experienced car accident lawyer can argue for compensation that you need to recover from the injuries suffered in a head-on collision, or they can file a claim if your loved one died as a result.
The attorneys of Evans Moore, LLC have experience handling all of the above types of cases and more. We know that no two cases are the same, and we will work with you to make sure you get justice for your unique situation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents
After a car accident, you will probably have lots of questions. We have provided answers to some common questions here, and we’re available to discuss your case in detail when you contact us at (843) 995-5000.
If I recently suffered injuries in an accident, is an attorney necessary?
A personal injury lawyer not only goes after the compensation you deserve but also handles all communications with the responsible party’s insurance company and attorney. Insurance companies employ many adjusters and lawyers who have the goal of making sure that you get as little compensation as possible and will typically offer a lowball settlement right away. Their strategy is to wrap up the case before you know the full extent of your injuries and other damages, so they won’t have to settle at a higher amount. Contacting a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident will substantially decrease the chances of this happening.
What should I do after an accident?
In the immediate aftermath of an accident, it is essential to:
- Call the police and file a police report.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible; this will also help to uncover any injuries that are not immediately apparent from the accident.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Avoid speaking to insurance until you hire a lawyer.
If you are unable to follow all these steps, contact Evans Moore, LLC right away. We can guide you in the right direction given the circumstances of your case.
What happens if the person that hit me is uninsured?
Although U.S. drivers are required to carry some form of auto insurance, many drivers are uninsured or underinsured. If you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, understand that insurance companies still function in the same way. Even though it is your insurance company, it is still in their best interest to minimize the amount of money awarded to you. These cases can be complex, and Evans Moore, LLC has the experience and knowledge necessary to help you reach a fair settlement.
What happens if I am determined to be partially at fault?
South Carolina uses what is called comparative negligence. Therefore, if you as the plaintiff (the person who brings the case) are less than 50 percent at fault, you may file a claim for compensation. However, your award can be reduced based on your percentage of fault. For example, if you were speeding when another driver ran a red light and you collided, you may be found to be 20% responsible for your injuries. If you would have been awarded $100,000, your award would be reduced by 20%, leaving you with $80,000.
Contact Evans Moore, LLC Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident in the Charleston area, it’s critical that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible to assess your case. As with many other types of personal injury cases, car accidents carry a three-year statute of limitations in South Carolina. The sooner that we can discuss your legal options, the sooner we can get started on helping you to win the compensation that you need to recover.
An injury from a car accident can leave you with substantial physical and mental trauma, along with ongoing financial burdens. We’ll help you hold the responsible parties accountable. To speak with a member of our legal team about your case, please call the Charleston attorneys of Evans Moore, LLC today at (843) 995-5000 or contact us online. We are here to help you with your case, so let us take some of the weight off your shoulders.