If you or someone you love has suffered a head or brain injury in the Charleston area, you may be entitled to financial compensation that can cover the costs associated with your injury. After a traumatic brain injury, also known as a TBI, you may be facing a significant recovery time in which medical bills are already threatening your financial well-being. You may have months or more of therapy ahead of you so that you can feel like your old self, but you could also be missing work and losing wages as a result. Typically, after a brain injury, there is also considerable emotional and mental suffering on top of the physical pain of your injury. If your injury was caused by another party’s negligence, you have the right to hold them financially accountable for all these harms.
The Charleston brain injury lawyers at Evans Moore, LLC are here to help you seek financial compensation so that an accident that was not your fault is not the cause of any future financial strain on you and your family. We will work tirelessly on your case to determine who is liable for your accident and hold them accountable, all while treating you with compassion and respect. To discuss your case in more detail with one of our experienced attorneys, call us today at (843) 995-5000 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Do I Need A Head a Brain Injury Lawyer?
Having a lawyer on your side is the best strategy if you want to maximize your chances of receiving the full amount of financial compensation you deserve. The laws concerning liability for accidents that result in brain injuries, as well as the laws involving medical malpractice that could exacerbate your injury or increase your recovery time, can become quite complicated for someone without legal experience. When multiple groups, such as hospitals, doctors, and insurance companies, become part of the equation, you’ll want someone with the experience and time to dedicate to your case.
Many brain injuries are the result of accidents, but lots of these accidents could have been prevented had the liable party been more responsible in working to prevent your injury from occurring in the first place. Having a lawyer on your side can also make the legal process proceed more swiftly. An experienced attorney will be able to get everything right the first time and anticipate and work around any delays with your case. A good lawyer will always be on top of their game; they’ll use their an abundance of resources to put together a strong case, increasing the likelihood that you will receive the full amount of compensation that you deserve.
Why Choose Evans Moore, LLC to Handle My Case?
The Charleston injury lawyers at Evans Moore, LLC have dedicated their professional lives to serving the personal injury victims of Charleston and helping them win compensation for their suffering. We are honored that our clients choose us time and time again to fight for their rights in court. Our founding attorneys, Scott C. Evans and James B. Moore III, worked within the court system for several years and then began working together in 2010. In the short time since Evans Moore, LLC was founded, we have made incredible progress in helping members of the Charleston community. We have recovered over $40 million for our clients who have suffered all kinds of personal injuries. Our quick success has also given us national recognition: We were named as “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers, recognized in the Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by the American Society of Legal Advocates, and honored as one of the Best Attorneys for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
While these honors humble us, they would mean nothing without the trust of our clients. We’re proud of the relationship we maintain with our clients throughout their entire case, and we want to make brain injury victims feel safe and comfortable, trusting Evans Moore, LLC to deliver our fullest attention, time, and resources to make each case as strong as possible. Both Attorneys Evans and Moore work as a team on each one of our cases so that you will have two sharp minds bringing 100 percent to your case. With Evans Moore, LLC on the case, you’ll be able to focus all your efforts on recovery, while we work to get you the financial compensation that you deserve.
Brain and Head Injury Causes and Risks
A brain injury occurs whenever there is a traumatic force of any kind to the head, such as a bump or a jolt, that disrupts the brain’s normal function. Common causes of TBIs include the following:
- Falls — The leading cause of traumatic brain injury, falls account for 47 percent of all brain injuries. This number is much higher for the elderly, who are at an increased risk, both for falling and brain injuries. Falls are the leading cause of death for people over age 65 who experience a traumatic brain injury.
- Being struck by an object — Traumatic brain injury resulting from a blow by or impact with a hard solid object or another person is the second leading cause of TBIs, making up 5 percent of TBI-related emergency department visits, hospitalization, and deaths.
- Vehicle crashes — Fourteen percent of brain injuries occurred as the result of an accident in a motor vehicle.
These and other incidents that result in TBIs are often the fault of another party’s negligence. If someone owed you a duty of care to keep you safe, such as a driver, property manager, employer, or product manufacturer, and they failed in that duty in some way, then they have been legally negligent and you can hold them financially accountable for your resulting injuries.
If you prevail in your brain injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation for a variety of losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Rehabilitative expenses
- Home modifications
- Pain and suffering
Furthermore, if your loved one tragically passed away as a result of a traumatic brain injury, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim on their behalf. Through this claim, you can recover compensation for costs such as medical expenses, funeral expenses, burial expenses, loss of financial support, loss of emotional support, and more.
Common Brain Injury Symptoms
Concussions, which many people are familiar with, are the most common type of brain injury. While, thankfully, most are not severe, they can lead to more severe symptoms, some of which can be life-altering.
Common symptoms of brain injuries include the following:
- Difficulty thinking clearly
- Light or noise sensitivity
- Balance problems or vertigo
- Irritability or other mood changes
- Difficulty with memory
- Impaired vision
- Slurred speech
- Feeling slow or lethargic
- Trouble with concentration
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
- Sleeping more or less than usual
- Seizures or convulsions
- Severe memory loss
While some of these symptoms can be seen as normal and might be easy to ignore, if they occur after trauma to your head in an accident, you should seek immediate medical attention to make sure your injury is not serious.
What Should I Do After a Brain Injury?
After suffering from a brain injury in an accident, try to remain calm and take the following steps:
- See a doctor: After an accident that involves physical trauma to your head, be sure to see a doctor to confirm your symptoms are not indicative of something serious or life-threatening. Some severe head injuries involve delayed symptoms, so waiting to seek treatment can be catastrophic. Keep all medical records as proof of your financial burden and of the severity of your injury that resulted from your accident.
- Collect evidence: Take any photos you can of your injury: a wound, a car crash, unsafe conditions that caused you to slip or fall. Keep a journal of your injury, noting how your symptoms are progressing, how often you need to seek medical help or take medication, your level of pain, and how your injury affects each aspect of your day-to-day life.
- Contact an attorney: Once you have seen a doctor and are stable, contact the lawyers at Evans Moore, LLC so that we can immediately get started investigating your case to determine liability. The sooner we can get started on your case, the sooner you will be able to receive the financial compensation that will allow you to recover with peace of mind about your financial future.
Even if you are unable to complete every step listed, be sure to contact Evans Moore, LLC. We can guide you in the right direction given the status of your case.
Contact a Lawyer Today
You should not have to be financially responsible for funding the treatment for an injury that was not your fault. The people who caused your accident (or those whose negligence led to your accident) should be held accountable. The Charleston lawyers at Evans Moore, LLC are dedicated to getting you the financial compensation that you deserve for your injuries. A settlement offers life-changing support to ease the burden of medical treatment expenses, future therapy expenses, and your physical and emotional suffering.
The lawyers at Evans Moore, LLC have the necessary experience and resources to fight for you. To get started, call us today at (843) 995-5000 or contact us online to discuss your case with one of our lawyers in a free consultation.